Saturday, April 17, 2010

"No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize."

(Title is a quote by Julia Child from in Fitch, Appetite for Life, p. 142).

Today's blog entry is not about anything I have made.

Although I still have to update on my latest cooking adventures. Pictures to be added.

But, first I would like to write about what I just spent the last 2 hours (or just about) of my life doing.

I watched Julie and Julia, starring the wonderful Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

Much like Julie (Powell that is), I am embarking on a quest. While I do not in any way hope to match Julie's cooking (either "cooking my way" through a book or making over 500 recipes in 365 days), her and I share some of the same traits. At least according to the movie, that is.

Her and I are both writers. I have a blog and so does she. I have no clue if I have any readers at all and neither did she, at least at the beginning of her year.

We both have a love of cooking. There is a certain science to cooking.

If I may quote the movie:

"(telling her husband, Eric, what she loves about cooking) "Chocolate cream pie! You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. You can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."

Egg yolks plus chocolate plus sugar plus milk equals a pudding. Pretty much anyways.

Yummy fantastic pudding.

I feel lost, at times. I am a few months into the 23rd year of my life. During her project, Julie Powell turned 30.

I am scared of turning 30. Less than 7 years to go.

I have so many things I want to accomplish before I turn "old". Before I have to grow up, have a real career, eventually have a family.

I would like to travel, see the world.

True, I could do these things after I have a family. But I would like to do these things alone. To know that I can.

I would like to give you some background information, if I may.

The title of my blog is "College Cooking". I am not going to college, right now.

I graduated high school in the spring of 2005. I went to college for 2.5 years, studying zoology and environmental science. My dream is to become a zookeeper, hopefully taking care of penguins.

I became lost. Much like Julie Powell.

I am in a dead end job. Slowly saving up money, trying to make my place in this world seem like it's worth something.

The other day I requested information from a culinary school, near where I live. Maybe I'll go there, maybe I won't. Who knows?

What I do know is that I love cooking. And even though I have only been doing this for just over a dozen weeks, I no longer feel lost.

I feel like I have a place in this world.

And that my friends, my dear readers, whoever/where ever you may be, is as a cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment